Monday, October 17, 2011

No water...no shower...no clean clothes...that just isn't a good way to start a day!

Hola Familia,

I am never going to forget the miracles that we saw this last week!! I know that last week I told you about miracles that we saw, but hey, this is the Lord´s work and it is FILLED with miracles!!

First of all I would like to tell you all about the day that we had Thursday; one of the hardest days yet. In the morning there was no water and so we couldn't shower and we didn't have clean clothes and so we ended up wearing clothes from the day before. That just isn't a good way to start a day ;)! Throughout the day we went from appointment to appointment and no one was there. We would then focus on diligence and began knocking doors to which nobody was answering their doors. On top of that, as we kept trudging along looking for a lesson or someone that would receive us the majority didn't want anything to do with us. The food appointment forgot that we were coming but through the grace and mercy of the Lord she made a quick and yummy lunch. On top of all of that I had the hardest time keeping my thoughts focused on the mission. This is hardly a problem but thoughts were popping into my mind about being at home, family, BYU, friends, and all sorts of other things that are associated with being home. Things that never were too much trouble to push out of my mind in order to work hard were fighting to get the foreground of my mind all day long.

However, I said a prayer and didn't let myself slack off. Actually, when I began thinking negatively or about things I didn't want to think about I instantly began walking faster, saying a prayer, or contacting the nearest person. As the day kept going we finally started to see the blessings begin pouring down from our loving and oh so patient Heavenly Father.

Miracle 1: About 3 days ago we contacted a less active member in the street and Thursday we had the chance to meet her son. We taught a lesson that went super well but over all we left with another baptismal date. Friday we put him in an interview and he decided to get baptized this last Sunday. It was so cool to just "happen" across another elect of God. Ismael was super excited to be baptized!

Miracle 2: After this amazing lesson we then went to a lesson with Alex, Cintya, and Pamela super nervous but ready and faithful to see another miracle. We were sure that God would help us come off the conquerors. In the morning we made a plan of what we were going to teach that was so inspired. We started the lesson with only Cintya and Pamela there which was divinely inspired. We had the opportunity to focus on Cintya and help her see that God had answered her prayers and that she had received assurances that the Church is true and the Book of Mormon is the word of God. She began shaking her head in agreement as she came to realize that she had received her answers. Right when we had established that with her, Alex came home from work. Perfect timing!! We then began establishing more concretely that which they knew to be true. We then read Moroni 10:3-7 and my companion Elder Mendez read and made emphasis that in verse 3 it says "it be wisdom in God that ye should read them" at this time and with the challenge in verse 7 that says "I would exhort you that ye deny not the power of God." When we had read and explained these two doctrines that God had made known to them about the Book of Mormon and the church at this time in their lives that they needed it the most and that they had the challenge to accept that which they already knew. After we testified to that, the room filled with the force of the Holy Ghost and Cintya (the hardest one in the family) began shaking her head yes. We then taught baptism a bit and hard commited them to be baptized this coming Sunday and they said yes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! We could not have been happier. :) After leaving we said a prayer of gratitude and I felt as if I was surrounded by angles rejoicing! I will never forget that feeling of pure happiness.

I am loving that which I am seeing, feeling, and learning here in Mexico City on the Lord´s errand! I love you all tons and more!

Love,

Elder Janis