Monday, October 10, 2011

Three miracles this week recounted from tons

Hola Familia!
 
This last week was amazing!!  I had the opportunity to see tons of miracles but I will only have the chance to tell you about 3.
 
1- To start out the week, Elder Mèndez and I decided that we had to do everything we could this last week to be able to baptize this week.  The first morning we decided that we would focus on Lilian Perez whom we had found knocking doors the other week and who had gone to General Conference.  She has been progressing so well and absolutely loves listening to the church hymns she downloaded from the internet during her work.  She also has been reading and listening to the audio of the Book of Mormon and loves it because she feels a lot of peace as she reads.  We decided to read 3 Nephi 11 with her and then put her on date after reading it.  We did just that, testifying of the truths and applying them to her and her needs as the Spirit was present.  When the time was appropriate we invited her to be baptized this last week and she said YES!!!  It was a wonderful baptismal service and I being the one that was directing the service felt impressed to give her the chance to share with us the feelings she had during the ordinance. She told us how wonderful she felt and that she felt so good in the church.  It was so special to see her so content!
 
2- I went and did an interview for a companionship in my area that had only one hope of baptizing this week and I am willing to do everything I can to help them have success.  When I started the interview I already knew he had problems with two of the commandments.  As the interview went along I saw such a sincere desire to change, to be closer to God.  He was willing to change his life completely in order to be able to see more blessings in his life.  I was amazed at how readily he accepted the neccessity to stop smoking and quite drinking coffee.  In the end when it came to asking him if he was ready to be baptized this coming Sunday he told me no...I felt that he wanted to but had some sort of doubt.  As I talked to him a while, he said he wasn't going to be ready for Sunday.  I then felt prompted to promise him that he was ready and that after being baptized and confirmed the Lord would bless him with the Holy Ghost to strengthen him and guard him against temptation.  I then asked "will you be baptized this coming Sunday?"  he then replied, "yes, I need to prepare my clothes!"  He then told me that he had everything that he needed other than a tie.  I then felt impressed to gift him the tie I was wearing and man did his eyes light up as I took it off and gave it to him.  He was delighted and showed it to the other missionaries after the interview was over!
 
3- Elder Mèndez saw a miracle coming and knew that we had to do everything we could to make it happen this week.  We called up the Zone Leaders who came and I went with my leader named Elder Vasquez.  As we started the companion-exchange it started pouring rain but we just kept going because we all had our hearts set on a miracle.  We went by a family of three that also went with us to conference but they weren't home.  We decided that we would try again later and went to other houses marching along in the rain.  However, after about an hour we came back and they were home!  They let us in immediately and we went to teaching baptism and how the gospel of Christ helps us have the opportunity to have eternal families.  The room was overcome with the Spirit as we asked inspired questions and testified something like this:

Us-"Would heaven be heaven without our families?"

Them- NO

Us-What do we need to do in order to live in the presence of God with our families?

Them- Baptism

Us-If Christ were here in this room at this time, when would he tell you to get baptized?

Them-As soon as possible

Us- Well right now it is raining so we aren't going to do it tonight (HAHA) but when would be the next opportunity?

The oldest kid- TOMORROW!

Us- Tomorrow will you follow the example of Jesus Christ and by baptized be someone holding the authority of God.

Them-.....YES!

We saw tons of miracles and I know that they were the products of fasting, prayers, obedience, diligence, and your prayers also!!  Elder Mèndez and I are so excited because we have 6 possibilities for baptism this coming week!!  I am so thankful for your prayers and support that help me keep going.  I am loving the mission more and more everyday.  I hope you all have a great week because we are seeing an extraordinary one!!
 
Con Amor,
Elder Janis