Monday, December 12, 2011

Feliz Día de la Virgen Guadalupe


Hola Familia,
 
Feliz Día de la Virgen Guadalupe!!!  Haha, the 12th of Dec. is a great, huge festival here with people partying like never to celebrate the birthday of the virgin.  Well, this last week was great!  We saw more miracles!
 
Miracle: The Hnas. (i.e., Sisters) have been working really hard and were quite upset that they weren't seeing fruits.  We read Alma 32:43, one of my favorite scriptures, and I felt prompted to promise them if they were diligent and obedient this coming week they would see a miracle.  However, when they came to church they came without anyone.  They looked super sad and stressed.  They came up to me and jokingly told me that I had lied...however, I was devasted to see them so sad.  I had no idea how to help them but just prayed that things would work out.  When we went to class I saw a new face and after introducing myself I found out that she had come for the first time and that she lived in the area of the Hnas.  After welcoming her to church and I hurried to tell the Hnas. who about cried with happiness.  It was such a great experience to see them work hard this last week and then after all the hard work see a miracle and tender mercy of the Lord.
 
We went to Costco the other day and, for the cold weather that we have been having, I bought a really sweet jacket that will last forever after the mission.  It was weird to be in a place so familiar but so far from home.  I couldn't help but want to buy potstickers and other appetizers but with limited money knew that I shouldn't do it!  Today for P-Day we went to Aldo Conti and they were having a huge clearance sale.  They were selling ties for 25 pesos which is like 2 US dollars.  They are super high quality and were a lot more expensive before.  We are going to have a present exchange as a Zone today and I am excited to give Elder Dearden a coin pouch and cologne.  He is another district leader and he lives nearby where we are going to live.  I found the things he wanted super high quality but cheaper in the Tianguis in the street.  Tianguis: a street market where a bunch of stands sell whatever you could think, lining up and down the street.  I am super excited to see how he reacts to the presents.  I really love giving!
 
I am looking forward to another Christmas in the field and the chance to give to the Lord all of my time and effort.  I feel such a desire to work super hard this Christmas season because I feel I have been given so much from the Lord this last year.  I hope to finish the year obtaining the goals I have and giving all that I have to the Lord.  I love you all so much and hope that you enjoy the season and the chance to show love for others likewise showing love for the Lord!
 
Love,
Elder Janis