Monday, January 23, 2012

Sacrifice vs. Consecration

Buenas Tardes Familia,

I am feeling the happiest that I ever have in my life!  Well, I have been super happy before but the happiness that I feel right now is deeper, more real, and impressively peaceful.  I finally learned this last week the difference between sacrifice and consecration.  I had always thought that they were the same thing but I realize now that they only really have superficial similarities.  Sacrifice - when we do the will of God over our own (sometimes thinking - "I get done doing what I NEED to do and afterwards have the opportunity to do what I WANT to do.")  As missionary we think at times about the food, P-DAY, sleeping, or things about home.  We are outwardly working with all our might and strength but we aren't happy doing it.  We begin to be frustrated at the fact there is little or no time to do what we WANT to do because all the things we NEED to do.
 
Consecration on the other hand is so different.  To start, when we are truly consecrated our will becomes the Lord's will.  We stop thinking about the cost of fulfilling a duty/calling and think more about the promise in Matt. 19:29.  We realize that the only intelligent thing is to dedicate ourselves to making what we NEED to do all that we WANT to do.  There will still be tough times but deep in our hearts we will feel a happiness and peace that doesn't come close to anything else.  Our eyes will open up to a whole new view of the world when we take off our blurry lenses of self-interest and let charity fill our bowels (D&C 121: 45-46).  We begin to change and convert ourselves, becoming more like our Savior.
 
I testify that there is nothing more satisfying than this.  I feel it right now.  I hope that my thoughts above made sense.  I have lots of these ideas swirling around in my head and it was hard to put them down on "paper".
 
So we had a wonderful baptismal service for two people this last week.  We also brought two new families to church this last week and we hope to help them be able to take their baptisms this next week.  There are a lot of super exciting things going on right now.  I am learning so much right now and changing who I am to which I am SO thankful to the Lord.  I love you all and hope you have a wonderful week!!
 
Love,
Elder Janis