Monday, February 27, 2012

Trials humble us...

Hola Familia,

My thoughts this last week have centered on conversion.  The mission/life is a refiner's fire that purifies and cleans.  The high heat of afflictions and adversity won't consume me but rather will serve to burn off all the impurities and weakness that I have.  I found a scripture this morning that really opened my eyes to how I should react to trials.  In D&C 112:13, I learned that the burning off of weaknesses and impurities isn't magic.  Trials humble us and help us realize that which we can get rid of, what is weighing us down, and hindering our ability to draw closer to our Heavenly Father.  I read a talk the other day about how sometimes we pray to get out of the trials we have in life.  However, that would ruin the whole purpose of the trials.  The Lord knows that a little pain now will serve for protection and avoidance of a lot more pain in the future.  The Lord will bless us with the help we need to overcome the trial, receiving the experience and knowledge that will serve us in this life and in the eternities.

Judging by what I just wrote you are all wondering if I had a rough week!!  HAHA, is was pretty trying but a wonderful chance to burn off what is really not worth having and an opportunity to become more like Christ!!  We had a family of 5 that was going to get baptized but they weren't going to be able to complete 100% of the commandments and so we had to hold off the baptism.  This week we hope to help them make the necessary changes in order to be baptized this coming week!!

We had a miracle on Monday in which a family opened the door and told us that they knew we were coming.  They even told us that they knew we were representatives of Christ before opening the door!! How cool is that!!  Honestly, I was kind of like..."How does that work?!"  But, hey the Lord definitely prepared this family!  They came to church on Sunday on their own and are happily preparing themselves for baptism this coming week!

I had the chance two times this last week to be in Stake Presidency meetings with President and WOW was that a great experience.  There are many amazing examples to me in the Church and President is such a spiritual powerhouse (I cannot think of a better way to put it :) ).  I really enjoyed learning more from him!!  We also have a Zone Leader Council this coming week and I am excited to learn more from him and the other zone leaders.

We have 9 people this week preparing for baptism and I have a lot of hope for SUPER success this week!  I love you all lots and lots and hope you have a SUPER week!!  HAHA, by the way the word SUPER is a word the really rich people say here!!  HAHA, it made me laugh when I learned that!!

LOVE,
Elder Janis